Five of the most prominent practical cases of Smart Destinations integrally implemented, managed and exploited by WIONGO are those of PALMA and PLAYA DE PALMA (Balearic Islands), BENIDORM (Alicante), SALOU (Tarragona) and BARCELONA. These destinations are without a doubt a real technological challenge, given the large volume of traffic and users that need coverage in these strategic areas, where there are large concentrations of tourists and being exceptional national tourism destinations. Below are the details of the most relevant practical cases implemented at a municipal level over the past few years, from among more than 300 of our smart projects:
The way of steering this initiative towards Tourism Destinations has a significant and positive economic and social impact on the local economy. The following conclusions about the experience, taken from the results obtained, are of note:
WIONGO would like to thank the following people for their collaboration on the project: Pedro Homar, director of Palma Tourism Foundation; Leire Bilbao, director of Benidorm Tourism Foundation; Tomeu Crespí, innovation and new technologies manager for the Urban Consortium of Playa de Palma and Tourism Coordination Area, Smart Office Palma; Tomeu Alorda, coordinator of the workgroup SmartCity/SmartDestination at the University of the Balearic Islands; Jorge Martín, manager of innovation and quality for the Balearic Islands Port Authority; Jesús Redón, manager of ICTs for Salou Town Council; Catalina Grimalt, deputy director-general for Barcelona Port Authority. WIONGO would also like to especially thank the WIONGO team (and the previous MallorcaWiFi.com team) for their hard work, dedication and enthusiasm and for believing in the project. Without them, the level of professionalism, success and satisfaction would not have been achieved.
• International Case Study, 2014, Cisco Systems, Inc.
• Best Worldwide Wi-Fi Deployment, 2016, Wireless Broadband Alliance,
• Smart Technology Award, 2016, Smart Destination Congress
• What does a destination gain by offering free Wi-Fi? Millions of breadcrumbs, 2017, Hosteltur,
• A media agency based on a Wi-Fi infrastructure, thanks to Big Data, 2016, Deusto,
• Majorca, example of free Wi-Fi and Smart Island, 2017, Economic and Social Committee of the European Union,
• The largest municipal Wi-Fi network in Europe, 2016, Diario de Mallorca,
• Balearic Islands’ Tourism Forum, 2016, Diario de Mallorca,
• MOCA and WIONGO come together to provide knowledge on urban mobility to Tourism Destinations, 2017, Finanzas.com,
• Palma de Mallorca, Smart Destination, 2016, esmartcity.es,
• Smart Island World Congress Presentation (SIWC), 2017, Fira
• SmartCity/IoT/BigData, 2016, University of the Balearic Islands,
• International Case Study, 2017, Libelium,
• As of Easter Week, Benidorm will have free Wi-Fi available on all of its beaches,
• The deployment of smart Wi-Fi in Salou will begin before Easter Week, 2019, Diario de Tarragona,
• Communication on Smart Tourism Destinations, 2019, esmartcity.es,
• Port of Barcelona deploys a smart Wi-Fi network in Port Vell, 2019, La Vanguardia,
• Big data applied to Europe’s largest Wi-Fi network, Smart Travel News, 2018,
The Spanish company WIONGO has been nominated for the Wireless Broadband Alliance Industry Awards 2018, in the category of Best Connected City Deployment.
The Spanish company WIONGO positions itself internationally thanks to its Wi-Fi deployment in Majorca, competing with London.
WIONGO is on the Electronic Communications Networks and Services Operators registry and is authorised by the CNMC to exploit Electronic Communications Services and Wireless Internet Access Services at a national level (Exp. 2009/935).
WIONGO complies with all of the conditions set forth in Law 23/2003 on Telecommunications, the Regulation on Electronic Communications Services Provision, the Universal Service and User Protection, approved by Spanish Royal Decree 424/2005, and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
This document is exclusively addressed to the recipient and may contain privileged or confidential information and/or personal data, the dissemination of which is regulated by the Data Protection Law, the GDPR and the Law on Information Society Services.